Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More than 50 pieces of luxury wood bust in Kampot Province



More than 50 pieces of luxury wood bust in Kampot Province

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Three containers show illegal luxury wood that was confiscated in Kampot province on Tuesday. fresh news

More than 50 pieces of luxury wood bust in Kampot Province

Three boats carrying three containers with 53 pieces of luxury wood allegedly intended for export to Vietnam were confiscated by the Customs Navigation Office in Kampot province’s Prek Thnout commune on Tuesday, Kampot Military deputy police chief Keo Sophal said.

Sophal said he was unaware of the total weight and measurements of the wood as he was not involved in the operation. He said the raid was carried out by the national Military Police in cooperation with the Customs Navigation Office.

The Crime Prevention Department at the General Department of Customs said officials made the bust at 10pm when they found the boats sinking.

The report said all the wood is being kept by authorities and will be sent for further investigation.

Khan Sophal, the deputy prosecutor of the Kampot Provincial Court, said he had received information that three illegal containers of luxury wood were confiscated by police, but he hadn’t received a detailed report yet.

Environmental activist Ouch Leng said before and after the election, police would use its raids to gain publicity.

“I see the crackdown activities as if they are not accidental. Police go on raids or take videos to show on TV.”

Natural Resource and Wildlife Conservation Society head Chea Hean said: “Generally, illegal wood transportation in the provinces along the coast of Cambodia to Vietnam is mostly done with big trucks.

“But due to constant rain over the last two weeks, the traders have begun to use boats.”

Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Veng Sakhon said in May that last year, the ministry made 5,353 raids involving wildlife and forestry crimes.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said