Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More than 50 villagers seek intervention in land disputes

More than 50 villagers seek intervention in land disputes

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
More than 50 people involved in land disputes in Tbong Khmum and Svay Rieng provinces gathered on Wednesday to submit a petition to various ministries. Hong Menea

More than 50 villagers seek intervention in land disputes

More than 50 people involved in land disputes in Tbong Khmum and Svay Rieng provinces gathered on Wednesday to submit a petition at the ministries of Justice; Interior; and Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, requesting a solution.

Khiev Sarun, a representative from Svay Rieng province, told The Post on Wednesday that the people gathered in front of the ministries to seek intervention as they no longer had confidence in the ministry’s subordinate officials.

“We jointly submitted a petition this time because we are all similarly involved in land disputes. Some community representatives of Tbong Khmum province have been arrested and imprisoned. We came here to seek justice for them too,” she said.

Tbong Khmum community representative Sem Chamnan said the people are worried that they would be summoned and imprisoned by the authorities without having reached a solution over the dispute.

“We would like to seek justice from the ministry to help resolve the issue surrounding the undue imprisonment of our representatives. We also declare our objection against the court’s ruling for withholding the people’s ownership to their land,” he said.

Chamnan said the groups wanted to also follow up on a previous petition submitted in December last year and to submit a new one for the ministries’ intervention.

Ministry of Justice spokesman Chin Malin told The Post on Wednesday that the ministry could not intervene in court decisions.

Regarding their request for intervention in the land disputes, Malin said it would be forwarded to the relevant institutions or the provincial administration to resolve.

The land dispute in Svay Rieng began in 2010 and involves a Chinese company and 440 families on more than 600ha, said Sarun.

The dispute in Tbong Khmum, meanwhile, started in 2011 on more than 1,000ha. The dispute similarly involves a Chinese company and three villages – Sre Praing, Boss Snaor, Trapaing Pring – in Dambe district.

Chan Heng, the deputy cabinet director of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, told The Post on Wednesday that the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction had already announced the cases as “resolved”.

“The Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction issued a press release saying that the petition was just to provoke unrest as they had already resolved the disputes. But we [Ministry of Agriculture] still received the petition so we could review it.

“We will assign technical officials to visit the sites and conduct an investigation to ascertain the Land Ministry’s statement. If anything new comes up, we will resolve it,” said Heng.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Four-pillar approach in reopening of tourism: PM

    Cambodia is drawing up a four-strategy approach to promptly restore domestic and international tourism activity and put the industry on a transition pathway to a sustainable and inclusive model that is resistant to future crises, according to Prime Minister Hun Sen. The prime minister made

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Cambodian bride ‘badly treated, held captive’ by Chinese man seeks help

    A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety. The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old