Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More child-sex charges for Brit

More child-sex charges for Brit

More child-sex charges for Brit

111115_05
Briton Paul Ian Bower (centre) leaves the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in June, 2007. Reuters

Briton Paul Ian Bower (centre) leaves the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in June, 2007. Reuters

A British national was arrested on Sunday night on a charge of sexually abusing six boys between the ages of 11 and 16, Keo Thea, chief of the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protect-ion Office in Phnom Penh, said yesterday.

Paul Ian Bower, 46, who faced similar charges in Cambodia that were ultimately dropped in 2007, had been arrested  about 9:30pm at Wat Prasath, in the capital’s Sen Sok district, Keo Thea said.

“He was arrested by the police while he was showing . . . pornographic photos to a group of boys and touching two boys’ penises in the pagoda,” Keo Thea told the Post.

He said Bower had been working as an English teacher for the Cambodia Air Traffic Control Service.

Keo Thea said Bower had been detained at the office of Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Police in Phnom Penh for further questioning before being sent to court today.

“I am still questioning him about his personal history and activities relating to the purchase of child prostitutes in Cambodia,” he said.

“He will be sent to the court to face his charges [Tuesday],” Keo Thea said.

He added that Bower had been sentenced by a British court to more than three years in jail for sexually abusing children in that country but had fled the UK to live in Cambodia, an account supported by more than one British newspaper.

Khoem Vando, information officer at Action Pour Les Enfants, pointed out Bower’s previous arrest here in 2007, following alleged procurement of two child prostitutes. Bower was tried but released after the court dropped the charges because of a lack of evidence.

APLE would provide lawyers to the victims and their families if asked, Khoem Vando said.

Bower’s lawyer could not be reached by the Post for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman