Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More factories at risk: report

More factories at risk: report

A security guard walks alongside a crevice at Nishiku Enterprise’s garment factory in Takeo province
A security guard walks alongside a crevice at Nishiku Enterprise’s garment factory in Takeo province on Tuesday morning after part of the factory’s floor collapsed. Vireak Mai

More factories at risk: report

A day after the floor of a Takeo province factory collapsed, injuring multiple staff, it was revealed that more factories could be at risk of the same fate.

“Building construction and design” is identified as the biggest risk faced by a sample of Cambodian factories whose building and fire safety were assessed by a team of experts in June, according to Jill Tucker, chief technical adviser of the International Labour Organization’s Better Factories Cambodia (BFC) program.

Preliminary results of the assessment, released yesterday, were given to BFC after the factory collapse on Tuesday. The investigation was carried out by Filipino company ECCI into “seven garment factories and two footwear factories of varying size and age”.

According to Tucker, the report identifies a lack of rebar – reinforcing steel – in the ground slab as a point of concern.

“From what our staff said, the concrete slab was not reinforced” at the Chinese-owned Nishiku Enterprise factory, where part of the floor collapsed on Tuesday morning, she said.

Low concrete strength and quality was another risk highlighted in the report, which identified “the absence of formal codes and regulations [as] the primary factor that triggers factories to operate below international standards”.

“Cambodia doesn’t yet have building standards; that’s the first step,” Tucker said.

Chan Monika, director of human resources at Nishiku, said the factory had “invited a building inspector to evaluate the damage and estimate how long it will take to refit the building”.

In the meantime, she said, employees at the factory would be allowed to stay at home while still being paid.

“For the injured workers it is the responsibility of the National Social Security Fund to compensate them,” Chan said, adding that most had been discharged from the hospital.

Representatives of the NSSF could not be reached.

Phoeun Sophan, one of the injured in Tuesday’s collapse, said she was still suffering from low blood pressure and pains in her feet. Despite the factory’s efforts, she was concerned that the floor might collapse again. “When we’re allowed back to work I will request to be moved to a different place” on the factory floor, she said.

The final version of the report is to be released in the coming weeks.

This article has been amended to clarify that BFC did not author the report.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the