Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More grilled on park violence




More grilled on park violence

Cambodia National Rescue Party activists leave Phnom Penh Municipal Court
Cambodia National Rescue Party activists leave Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday after attending a hearing about their involvement in a violent protest last year at Freedom Park. Pha Lina

More grilled on park violence

Three more opposition activists were questioned yesterday in connection with an alleged uprising following the disputed 2013 general election, as lawyers for the accused aired anger over what they considered biased questions.

Sum Puthy, Neang Sokhun and An Paktham faced judge Lim Makaron and deputy prosecutor Keo Socheat at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court over their alleged role in the “insurrection” on July 15, 2014, in which citizens and activists took to the street to demand the capital’s Freedom Park be reopened. The demonstration turned violent when protesters fought back against Daun Penh district security guards, who had terrorised demonstrations for months, leaving 39 people injured.

The inquiries mainly focused on why those involved joined the protest in the first place; who led the demonstration; and what roles Cambodia National Rescue Party lawmakers Mu Sochua and Ho Vann played on the day in question.

“I just went to watch [the protest],” Puthy told Makaron. “I did not join. I did not hold anything [weapons].”

The judge continued, asking Puthy whether he heard attendees making speeches through megaphones or if opposition supporters were also wielding weapons like some security personnel were.

“They were beating each other,” Puthy said, adding that both security personnel and plainclothes civilians were wielding weapons, though not many civilians he saw were carrying bats.

Puthy also told the court that he saw people running in a nearby garden, some of whom were wearing helmets and holding weapons.

Socheat then proceeded to grill Sokhun, asking whether or not Sochua and Vann were present at the demonstration.

“I saw them joining in, but I did not see them doing anything,” Neang Sokhun claimed.

After the hearing, Sam Sokong, one of the lawyers for the activists, told reporters that the session was biased, saying that his clients may not be given justice based on how they were approached.

“If we consider the answers of all the accused, we see that the evidence and their answers [indicate] that they [did] not lead an insurrection or join an insurrection,” he said.

Nine of 11 accused activists have already been summonsed in connection with the case. Next Wednesday, two more activists – Meach Sovannara and Tep Narin – are scheduled to be questioned in the same case.

Many, however, have skipped their questioning sessions, with lawmakers citing their parliamentary immunity and busy work schedules as reasons.

Some have called on the government to end the case in light of the recent cosying of ties between the opposition and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped