Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More Montagnard asylum seekers return to Vietnam



More Montagnard asylum seekers return to Vietnam

A group of Montagnard asylum-seekers pose for a photo before departing Cambodia for Vietnam on Tuesday. Photo supplied
A group of Montagnard asylum-seekers pose for a photo before departing Cambodia for Vietnam on Tuesday. Photo supplied

More Montagnard asylum seekers return to Vietnam

A group of Montagnard asylum seekers were returned to Vietnam on Tuesday after most had their applications for refugee status rejected, government officials said yesterday.

Refugee department director Tan Sovichea said 16 Montagnards – an ethnic mountain minority who are predominantly Christian – were sent back Vietnam through Ratanakkiri province. “They all volunteered to go back to their homeland,” he said.

The government denied the requests for refugee status for 15 of the Montagnards, including a family of seven. One – who withdraw his application before it was ruled on – elected to leave. “We cannot grant them refugee status because they do not reach the criteria of the UN Refugee Convention,” Sovichea said.

UN High Commissioner for Refugees spokesperson Vivian Tan confirmed the organisation facilitated the return to Vietnam.

“[W]e certainly plan to visit them, as we did with last year’s returnees,” Tan said. “The Vietnamese authorities have provided assurances that there will be no punishment for illegally leaving the territory and that UNHCR will be able to conduct monitoring visits.”

According to the UNHCR and Sister Denise Coghlan from the Jesuit Refugee Services, more than 170 Montagnards remain in Phnom Penh, with some still yet to have their refugee status interview.

Hundreds of Montagnards fled across the border seeking asylum last year. In May, 13 found to be refugees were moved to the Philippines.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year