Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More Nauru refugees headed for Cambodia



More Nauru refugees headed for Cambodia

Refugees arrive at Phnom Penh International Airport last year.
Refugees arrive at Phnom Penh International Airport last year. Pha Lina

More Nauru refugees headed for Cambodia

Three more refugees held by the Australian government on Nauru have volunteered to come to Cambodia, a senior government official said yesterday.

Interior Ministry immigration chief Sok Phal said a recent government delegation to the Pacific island had interviewed three men who had agreed to move to the Kingdom under the controversial resettlement program. “We have made a report to the ministry [which will] decide” whether to accept the group, Phal said.

Phal said he could not recall the group’s nationalities, though a well-placed source suggested the new batch included a Pakistani, an Afghan and a Sri Lankan.

Under the deal, inked in 2014, Cambodia agreed to take Australia’s unwanted refugees held on Nauru in exchange for an A$40 million aid program. Canberra also stumped up A$15 million for resettlement services.

News of new arrivals comes less than a month after the widely criticised scheme marked its second anniversary, during which time only five people have chosen resettlement in the Kingdom.

Of those, only one – a Rohingya Muslim from Myanmar – remains in Cambodia, with the other four, including a man from Myanmar and three Iranians, since choosing to return to their native countries.

According to official statistics, 410 people are currently detained on Nauru, one of two “regional processing centres” where the Australian government keeps people who attempt to reach its shores by boat.

But despite the meager results, the Australian government has said it remains committed to the resettlement scheme.

Reached yesterday, Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said he was unable to offer any information about the potential arrivals, as he had not received the official report.

He noted, however, that the recent delegation to Nauru included head of the immigration department’s refugee office Tan Sokvichea and Foreign Ministry Secretary of State Long Visalo.

A source close to Visalo said the secretary of state had also been invited to visit Australia soon to discuss the scheme.

Ian Rintoul of the Refugee Action Coalition said he was surprised that three more refugees had volunteered, though suggested the trio may want to use Cambodia as a “stepping stone” to return home. “The vast majority have rejected Cambodia as an alternative,” he said.

The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection media team was unable to reply before deadline.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and