Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More plotters to be arrested: police

More plotters to be arrested: police

More plotters to be arrested: police

OFFICIALS say that international funders have been supporting the so-called Tiger Head Movement - the mysterious organisation that the government claims masterminded a failed bomb attack in Phnom Penh early this month.

"I cannot confirm whether we expect more arrests or not [because] this is also about people funding the organisation from abroad," Information Minister Khieu Kanharith said Thursday, adding that police were looking for more suspects.

National Police spokesman Kieth Chantarith said police were still investigating the case.

"We expect more arrests," he said, not elaborating further due to the sensitivity of the case.  

Four persons are currently detained in PJ prison in connection with bombs discovered January 2 and on suspicion of recruiting and training terrorists.

In Mondulkiri province, where the former provincial police chief Reach Samnang was arrested Thursday last week, police said that 300 RCAF soldiers have been deployed to search for more members of the alleged anti-government movement.

"It is very hard for me to answer questions, but we are hunting for the suspects," So Sovann, deputy Mondulkiri police chief, said Thursday.

Kieth Chantarith reiterated that the four in detention had connections to five people jailed for a 2007 attack on the Cambodian-Vietnamese Friendship Monument.

"The four suspects are from the same group as the five sentenced for the bombs planted at the [monument] in 2007," he said, declining to provide further details. 

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen’s China visit ‘a good opportunity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen’s visit to Beijing on Sunday to discuss economic and trade issues presents a good opportunity for the Kingdom to strengthen Chinese ties and counter punitive measures by the West, an analyst says. The prime minister’s four-day official visit to

  • Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

    The former chief bodyguard of late Senate president Chea Sim has received a royal pardon nearly eight years after he was sentenced to 15 years behind bars on several charges, according to a royal decree dated November 12, last year, and obtained by The Post on Wednesday.

  • Close to the edge: Hair raising pictures from Kulen Mountain

    A new hair raising attraction on Kulen Mountain has finally opened to the public, with people flocking to the protruding cliff edge overlooking green mountainous forests to take photographs. The giant overhanging rock is situated in an area known as Mahendraparvata – an ancient city of

  • US warned not to interfere despite successful meeting

    A senior Ministry of National Defence official said the Tuesday meeting between the US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence for South and Southeast Asia Joseph H Felter and General Neang Phat had helped strengthen relations between the two countries’ militaries. However, a senior Cambodian People’