Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More timber seizures, charges across nation

More timber seizures, charges across nation

A vehicle sits at a compound in Mondulkiri earlier this week after it was seized but authorities for illegally transporting wood. Photo supplied
A vehicle sits at a compound in Mondulkiri earlier this week after it was seized but authorities for illegally transporting wood. Photo supplied

More timber seizures, charges across nation

A man in Stung Treng province was charged on Wednesday for illegally collecting and transporting luxury wood without a permit, a provincial court official said yesterday, as similar charges and timber seizures were reported in multiple provinces.

Chea Pech, Stung Treng provincial prosecutor, said the man, whom he declined to name, had been placed in pre-trial detention after he was stopped on Wednesday in a van packed with 53 pieces of luxury wood in Stung Treng district.

Meanwhile, So Sovichea, a spokesman for the Mondulkiri provincial prosecutor, said that Forestry Administration officials on Tuesday had confiscated two cars with 16 pieces of luxury wood totalling more than 2 cubic metres in Keo Seima district, and had also confiscated 15 motorbikes for carrying wood.

In Pursat, provincial prosecutor Long Cheap said he had charged alleged timber transporter Poch Noeun, 36, for transporting and collecting rare forestry products. Noeun was apprehended on Tuesday while travelling along National Road 5 in Pursat’s Bakan district.

“They arrested the man with a truck carrying 2,882 kilograms of rosewood,” Cheap said yesterday.

Cheap added that “the prosecutor charged him that afternoon”, and that the case had been sent to the investigating judge.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said