Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Motorised funeral ‘march’ for Kem Ley

Motorised funeral ‘march’ for Kem Ley

Monks lead a procession of hundreds for Kem Ley over Chroy Changvar bridge as they travel to Wat Chas pagoda earlier this month. SBN
Monks lead a procession of hundreds for Kem Ley over Chroy Changvar bridge as they travel to Wat Chas pagoda earlier this month. SBN

Motorised funeral ‘march’ for Kem Ley

After two days of meetings, City Hall and the funeral committee of slain political activist Kem Ley have hashed out details for Sunday’s funeral procession, with the committee agreeing to restrict mourners to motos and cars.

City Hall on Wednesday raised two objections to the committee’s plans: allowing mourners to walk and the use of Monivong and Russian boulevards. While mourners still cannot march, the two sides reached an agreement that will see the procession utilise the two main thoroughfares.

Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Khoung Sreng yesterday said police forces would be deployed along the procession route and again stressed that people should not walk.

“We have measures to stop it, but we appeal to people to understand about this problem,” he said, before declining to say how many security personnel will be on the streets.

The procession will start from Wat Chas pagoda at 7am, where Ley’s body has been on display since his death on July 10, and will make its way across the Japanese Friendship Bridge towards Russian Boulevard and onwards to his home province of Takeo on National Road 3.

Tim Malay, funeral committee member and director of the Cambodia Youth Network, said it would be difficult to prevent people from walking along with the procession.

“If the people want walk 20 or 30 metres, or stand along the road, how can we ban them?” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • Kingdom set to be a gold producer

    Cambodia will soon join the roster of gold producing countries after the government announced the commencement of commercial gold mining operations in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province's Keo Seima district from June 21. Prime Minister Hun Sen on June 10 announced that after 14 years of