Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mouly/Son Sann rift widens



Mouly/Son Sann rift widens

Mouly/Son Sann rift widens

A long- standing rift between two key members of the Buddhist Liberal Democratic

Party (BLDP) - Son Sann and Ieng Mouly - appears to have been revived by a

dispute over how many of the party's supporters can get jobs in the

government.

On Dec. 22 last year, the BLDP submitted to the government two proposed lists

of people-one with 10,766 names on it and the other 5,480-to be given civil

service jobs.

The lists were provided in line with the Paris Peace Accords, which allows

for political parties to be proportionately represented in the civil

service.

The first, larger list was made on behalf of the BLDP-registered during the

UNTAC period-and the second on behalf of its predecessor, the Khmer People's

National Liberation Front (KPNLF).

The fist list was apparently supported

Son Sann, the BLDP president, and the second by the party's vice-president and

KPNLF general-secretary high-profile Minister of Information Ieng

Mouly.

Son Sann's supporters responded angrily when only the second list

was accepted by the Council of Ministers who accused Mouly of making a secret

arrangement to have it approved for his "own future interests".

Mouly

confirmed to the Post he had intervened by assuring the Council of Ministers

that number of people on the smaller list was representative of KPNLF's

administration before the peace accords.

"I know the real numbers because

I was the one who held this job since the beginning [of KPNLF].

"I have

not thought that I should please His Excellency Son Sann or not.

"But it

is my objective not to let those who struggled along with us for more than 10

years be frustrated," he said, in reference to all the people on the second list

having been KPNLF supporters before the peace process.

He said both

lists-one of BLDP members and the other original KPNLF workers-had been prepared

by the BLDP cabinet. He said he was aware that Son Sann would have preferred the

first list be accepted.

Son Sann, who could not be reached for comment,

is understood to have urged both lists be withdrawn for re-examination.

A

BLDP official, who requested anonymity, said that Mouly was distancing himself

from the party to gather support for his political future.

"His name is

still here, but not his mind and his body," said the official.

Mouly has

privately discussed the possibility of leaving the party before the next

elections, some sources say.

His differences with Son Sann date back to

the peace process, when he had to fight to retain his seat on the Supreme

National Council in the face of opposition from Son Sann.

Mouly told the

Post the rift between the two men was historic and "since then, nothing can weld

it".

"My ministerial position was not proposed by Son Sann. He would

appoint his man, wouldn't he?" he said.

Another BLDP official, a Member

of Parliament, saw the tension between the two men as a threat to the party's

future.

"We are very concerned and we want this rift to be healed," he

said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said