Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Movie man in fraud trial




Movie man in fraud trial

Movie man in fraud trial

A move producer, charged with defrauding a woman of US$15,000 in order to launch his business, saw his trial end yesterday.

Mon Samnang, a 27-year-old producer and actor with Phnom Sorsai Sak Cinema Production Company, is alleged to have borrowed money from the 25-year-old woman and never paid it back, Presiding Judge at Phnom Penh Municipal Court Chaing Sinath said in court yesterday.

He was arrested in Tuol Sangke commune in Russei Keo district, Phnom Penh, last December and later charged, she said.

The woman involved, Buth Botun Srey Neang, told the court that she had been known Mon Samnang since July 2007 and that the two had been friends.

“He had always borrowed money to do his movie business and I always gave him as his requested, a total of $15,000, but he had never paid me back,” she said.

“When I tried to ask him about my money, he always ran away from me. Therefore, I decided to sue him in the court,” the woman said.

“I would like to ask the court to find justice for me and punish him with the law. I also would like to ask the court to force him to return my money he borrowed.”

When I asked him about my money, he always ran away

She also claimed that in addition to borrowing her money, Mon Samnang also tried to have sex with her, but she refused because he was married.
Mon Samnang denied the accusations and charges against him during the hearing yesterday.

He said that he had never borrowed the money from Botun Srey Neang.

“I accepted that I had known her but I have not committed all these accusations and charges,” he said in court.

“I think that these charges are very unjust for me. Therefore, I would like to ask the court to drop charges against me and release me,” he added.

A verdict in the civil case is due to be announced on April 27, the judge said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that