Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Muth’s lawyer calls for case to be terminated

Muth’s lawyer calls for case to be terminated

Meas Muth defence counsel Michael Karnavas attends a hearing in the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s Case 002 in 2012. Mark Peters/ECCC
Meas Muth defence counsel Michael Karnavas attends a hearing in the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s Case 002 in 2012. Mark Peters/ECCC

Muth’s lawyer calls for case to be terminated

The defence team for Meas Muth has said terminating the proceedings against the alleged Khmer Rouge naval commander is the “only legitimate and lawful option” if funds cannot be found to ensure a fair trial.

The co-investigating judges at the Khmer Rouge tribunal in May made a confidential request for submissions on whether to issue a “permanent stay on proceedings” in the government-opposed cases 003, against Muth; 004, against Yim Tith; and 004/02, against Ao An. The co-investigators cited a “lack of funding” as the reason for the proposed stay, a justification that raised eyebrows among court observers.

Muth’s lawyer Michael Karnavas yesterday confirmed he had made such a submission.

“Effectively, if our client is indicted, then afford him his human rights, give him a full and fair trial and, if necessary, an appeal. If the UN and Cambodian Government cannot afford to maintain the ECCC, to properly fund it, to go the distance as it must, then the only legitimate and lawful option is to terminate the proceedings immediately,” he said.

“Anything less would be a pretence, a charade of due process.”

Lawyers for Yim Tith and Ao An declined to comment yesterday, citing the confidentiality of the process, and the prosecution did not respond to requests for comment.

A decision on the fate of all three cases was extended last month, but court spokesperson Hayat Abu-Saleh said yesterday no deadline had been set.

MOST VIEWED

  • WHO: Covid in Cambodia goes into new phase

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia said that Cambodia has reached a new phase of the pandemic with “decreasing case numbers, high vaccination coverage and a more transmissible circulating variant threatening a hidden surge”. In a press release on September 6, the WHO said that

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • International air visitor arrivals dip 93%

    The number of foreign tourists entering Cambodia through the Kingdom’s three international airports witnessed a sharp 92.5 per cent year-on-year decline in the first seven months of this year, according to the Ministry of Tourism. The airports handled 51,729 international tourists in the January-July period versus

  • School reopening ‘offers model for other sectors’

    World Health Organisation (WHO) representative to Cambodia Li Ailan said school reopening process should be used as a role model for reopening other sectors currently mothballed by the Covid-19 pandemic. Li strongly supports the government’s decision to reopen schools, saying it is a decision

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in

  • Is Cambodia’s microfinance sector running its course?

    Economic growth and the strength of the banking system might have prompted a slow decline of the microfinance segment that has been raising a population ‘The MFI business model is over,” opined David Van, a Cambodian investment expert, recently. He felt that in a couple