Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NACD records ‘slight’ decrease in drug crimes compared to last year

NACD records ‘slight’ decrease in drug crimes compared to last year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A Chinese driver was arrested with nearly 10Kg of drug in Phnom Penh's Daun Penh District on June 3, 2019. Supplied

NACD records ‘slight’ decrease in drug crimes compared to last year

The authorities have conducted 2,425 drug raids across the country this year, detaining 7,294 dealers and users, including 562 women and 167 foreigners, an anti-drugs official said.

Meas Virith, the secretary-general of the National Authority for Combating Drugs (NACD) at the Ministry of Interior, told The Post on Wednesday that there were 2,100 cases of dealing drugs in which 3,973 people were detained.

He said there were 15 cases of drug manufacturing, with four people detained and sent to court, while in 1,310 cases where people were in possession of drugs, 3,321 of them were ordered to receive treatment.

“They were forced by the prosecutor to go get treatment. If after leaving the treatment centre they carry on using drugs, they will be punished with jail terms of between six months and one year,” Virith said.

He said there had been a slight decrease in drug crimes compared to the same period last year, but that the authorities would continue to find offenders as people are becoming more willing to tip off the police.

Virith said on June 13, the Ministry of Interior would hold a meeting to lay out further measures to clamp down on drugs at entertainment clubs. This followed Deputy Prime Minister Sar Kheng’s March 19 order to conduct more of such raids.

Sar Kheng urged the authorities to take tougher measures against the owners of entertainment venues, hotels and guesthouses in order to prevent drug use and distribution.

He said drugs have become a heated issue because they had spread from Phnom Penh to the provinces.

Sar Kheng expressed hope that over the next two years, combating the spread of drugs would become a strategic duty of the authorities to minimise or eradicate their use and availability.

Rights group Adhoc spokesperson Soeung Sen Karuna commended the plan to eliminate drugs at entertainment locations, because previous campaigns had failed to achieve their goal – especially among the powerful ringleaders who import and distribute drugs.

“We hope the new strategy and measures will improve the situation and get it back on the right track, especially by targeting the ringleaders,” Sen Karuna said.

He said he is convinced of the government’s commitment to eliminating drug distribution and use in the near future, but pointed out that in the past, there had been a stated commitment to stamp out illegal logging, but forests were still being devastated.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a