Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NagaWorld casino murder trial ramps up

NagaWorld casino murder trial ramps up

NagaWorld casino murder trial ramps up

100810_05

Chinese national He Ming Chai (C), 36, enters Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday. Photograph: Vireak Mai/Phnom Penh Post

Chinese national He Ming Chai (C), 36, enters Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday. Photograph: Vireak Mai/Phnom Penh Post

The first witness to take the stand regarding the murder of a Chinese gambler at NagaWorld casino, allegedly over an unpaid debt, maintained his innocence and denied any knowledge of the murder yesterday.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court began the trial yesterday of three men over the 2010 murder of Zou Jian Chang, 44. Zou was found dead in his room at NagaWorld on November 18, 2010, after borrowing about $3,000 from Wu Wen Hsiang, 34, Qian Yue Fei, 29, and He Ming Chai, 44.

The court charged Wu with intentional murder, and Qian and He are charged as accomplices.

“I have not committed, nor am involved with or aware of his death,” He said. “I was aware that he was murdered after I was arrested by the police.”

He did admit that he had gone to NagaWorld with Zou near the time of his death and, according to He, Zou borrowed the US$3,000 from Wu.

Kao Soupha, He’s defence lawyer, said that He could not have been involved in the murder because based on security camera footage.

“There was no real proof or witnesses to show that He Ming Chai had been involved or had committed offences as accused. Therefore, I would like to ask the court to release him,” he said.

Zou Jian Chang’s family and lawyer were not present at the court yesterday. They could not be contacted for comments.

The verdict will be announced on August 14.

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Malaysian MP calls on his government to take stand on Cambodian elections

    A Malaysian parliamentarian raised concerns in his country on Wednesday about Cambodia’s July 29 national elections and urged his government to clarify its position on the subject, the Asean Parliamentarians for Human Rights (APHR) said on Thursday. Wong Chen, a member of the People’s

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not