Hundreds of workers from NagaWorld are no closer to having their demands for a wage increase met after they were told yesterday that casino management will not negotiate with them until they end their strike and go back to work.
“There was no result,” said Sok Narith, a union representative who attended a meeting with company and municipal officials at City Hall. Narith said that during the two-hour meeting, Phnom Penh deputy governor Khuong Sreng had not addressed the workers’ demands, choosing instead to focus on the strike itself, which began last week.
“City Hall and the company demanded we go back to work. Only then will they continue negotiating,” Narith said. “We will not make a decision until we speak to the strikers.”
Police and security guards cracked down on strikers outside the casino on Tuesday, briefly detaining 19 workers and union leaders. Workers remained on strike at about 7pm last night, some distance from the casino.
Sreng could not be reached for comment.