Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - National Assembly urges resolution in villagers’ land dispute with official




National Assembly urges resolution in villagers’ land dispute with official

Ratanakkiri villagers protest in a land dispute case. Photo supplied
Ratanakkiri villagers protest in a land dispute case. Photo supplied

National Assembly urges resolution in villagers’ land dispute with official

Three people, representing 112 migrant families, on Monday submitted a letter to Ratanakkiri province authorities from the National Assembly asking them to investigate and resolve a longstanding land dispute involving a Ministry of Interior official.

Community representatives Nguon Mil, Sot Soeun and You Leang, from Roy village in Bakeo district’s Keh Chung commune, received the letter from National Assembly President Heng Samrin on the same day they sent it to provincial authorities.

The letter was in response to a December 22 request they made to the National Assembly asking the government to issue land titles to the families and create a new village for them, with a pagoda.

In their December letter, the migrant families claim they cleared 575 hectares of forest land between 2006 and 2007 on which to live, farm and mine gemstones. But they allege Heang Socheat, a Ministry of Interior immigration official, later forged documents to take their land.

“We filed the letter asking provincial authorities to establish a committee to measure the land and issue land titles for us,” Soeun said yesterday. “We hope that authorities will do it in accordance with the National Assembly’s letter.”

Tim Sinat, director of the provincial Department of Land Management, confirmed having received a copy of the National Assembly’s letter.

“I have read the letter and will look into solving the dispute again,” he said.

Socheat, who had previously said he was going to resign from his position, couldn’t be reached yesterday, but in 2015 he claimed to have bought the land from ethnic Jarai people in 2007, and accused the migrant families of taking land that was rightfully his.

Soeun, however, claimed that of the 575 hectares the migrant families cleared, Socheat had grabbed 186 hectares using irregular land titles.

MOST VIEWED

  • WHO: antibiotics cause more deaths

    Increased antibiotics use in combating the Covid-19 pandemic will strengthen bacterial resistance and ultimately lead to more deaths during the crisis and beyond, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Monday. WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said a “worrying number” of bacterial infections were becoming

  • Children in poverty said to rise by 86M

    The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and Save the Children warned that if urgent measures are not taken, the number of children living in poverty across low- and middle-income countries could increase by 86 million, a 15 per cent jump, by the end of the year. In

  • PM slams HRW ‘double standards’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has chided Human Rights Watch (HRW) Asia director Brad Adams for keeping quiet over protest crackdowns in the US following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25. Addressing reporters while inspecting infrastructure development in Preah Sihanouk province on Monday,

  • Four more UN troops infected by Covid virus

    Four more Cambodian Blue Helmet peacekeepers in Mali have been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, bringing the number of infected Cambodian UN peacekeepers to 10. National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces and Explosive Remnants of War deputy director-general and spokeswoman Kosal Malinda told The Post on Tuesday

  • Huge tracks of undocumented land a concern for registration officials

    Siem Reap provincial deputy governor Ly Samrith expressed concern that land registration plans for residents scheduled to be completed by late 2021 could not be achieved because 80 per cent of the land had not been registered. Land dispute issues are a major factor that poses a

  • Bank robber of $6M asks to be released

    An accused bank robber who admitted to stealing $6 million has asked the Supreme Court to release him temporarily because he had returned the money. In a court hearing on Tuesday Chan Simuntha, 39, told the judge that on January 18, his wife Teang Vathanaknearyroth told him that