Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - National Police add weight to logging crackdown



National Police add weight to logging crackdown

Authorities inspect timber in a Kratie province field on Tuesday as part of an ongoing crackdown on logging. Photo supplied
Authorities inspect timber in a Kratie province field on Tuesday as part of an ongoing crackdown on logging. Photo supplied

National Police add weight to logging crackdown

Cambodia's National Police have joined the fray in an ongoing crackdown against illegal logging, starting their own “mission group” following the creation of a military police task force last week.

According to a document signed yesterday by National Police chief Neth Savoeun, the group will be chaired by provincial police chiefs from Stung Treng, Kratie, Tbong Khmum, Mondulkiri and Ratanakkari.

The statement tasks the police with investigating economic land concessions to find “the masterminds who conspire to smuggle wood” past the border.

The military police’s task force has already investigated timber belonging to at least four wealthy businessmen.

The first two were Soeng Sam Ol and Lim Bunna, but stockpiles belonging to Try Pheap, Cambodia’s most prominent timber tycoon, and Kith Meng, one of the country’s richest men, were also inspected on Wednesday.

Sorn Nimol, Stung Treng deputy police chief, said there were no results yet from inspections on Try Pheap’s timber, though timber belonging to Kith Meng in Sesan district – part of a concession to log a dam reservoir – had been determined legal.

Analysts have suggested that the highly public crackdown could be an attempt to centralise the timber racket rather than eliminate it. Try Pheap has the exclusive right to sell off seized timber, while the chair of the military police’s task force, Sao Sokha, has been accused of profiting from logging in the past.

Environment Ministry spokesperson Sao Sopheap brushed off the criticisms, however.

“The task force is staffed by the government . . . their job is to do their duty.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through