Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - National Police update crime database; data on all offences to be entered within 48 hours

National Police update crime database; data on all offences to be entered within 48 hours

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
National Police chief Neth Savoeun. Facebook

National Police update crime database; data on all offences to be entered within 48 hours

National Police chief Neth Savoeun issued a directive allowing the formal use of the data management system called E-Crime 2020 from May 1 to ensure sustainability and data security of criminal offences in an archive utilising information technology.

According to a directive dated May 4, the system is described as helping police officials look up data concerning criminal offences from a database. The data will be formally used for analysis and evaluation of offences in designated geographical locations.

“Data regarding offences must be digitised within 48 hours after the offences have occurred and we have to enter all court orders from 2000 until now into the database as well as update its data regularly,” it said.

Savoeun advised municipal and provincial police chiefs to ensure sustainability of resources for officials and install technical tools and materials including internet connections for staff or officials in charge of the work.

He also advised the planning and criminal police departments to strengthen cooperation to monitor data of criminal offences that specialists had recorded.

“The municipal and provincial police chiefs have to cooperate in providing documents, information and photos regarding offences with agreement for the basis of digitising the data in a timely manner.

“In case police chiefs have no photos of suspects or victims, please request cooperation from the criminal police departments for a solution.”

After the data is recorded in the database, specialists have 48 hours to correct it in the system. But after 48 hours the system does not allow the specialists to change it unless a municipal or provincial police chief makes a formal request to the head of the planning department for review to allow the technical working group to correct it.

National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun told The Post on May 6 that the system is for recording data regarding criminal offences and that the National Police had been using a system like this for over 10 years, but had just now updated it.

“This will help the National Police record information on the backgrounds and nationalities of offenders and victims, figures and data about offences and data on crackdown results including some arrest warrants,” he said

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy