Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nations unite against dam

Nations unite against dam

A part of the Mekong River where the proposed Don Sahong dam project would be constructed in southern Laos. INTERNATIONAL RIVERS
A part of the Mekong River where the proposed Don Sahong dam project would be constructed in southern Laos. INTERNATIONAL RIVERS

Nations unite against dam

Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand have all called on Laos to submit its planned Don Sahong hydropower dam to an intergovernmental assessment.

According to the dam’s opponents, the Laos National Mekong Committee has acted unilaterally in the planning of its second Mekong dam, a project they fear could irreparably damage the region’s food security and biodiversity.

The Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand National Mekong Committees have each sent separate letters demanding Laos honour regional cooperation pledged by the countries in the 1995 Mekong Agreement.

“We … suggest that the proposed project needs to be considered under the prior consultation process,” states Vietnam’s letter, the only one of the three to be released publicly.

Under the agreement, regulated by the Mekong River Commission, a dam developer must notify or consult with member countries before building.

“Compared with the notification process, which is just the timely submission of materials with no further discussion, consultation requires notification plus a six-month time frame for each country to conduct studies and share concerns,” said Te Navuth, Cambodian National Mekong Committee secretary-general.

Less than two kilometres north of the Cambodia-Laos border, the 260-megawatt dam would potentially have too high an impact on mainstream fish migration in the dry season to bypass consultation with other affected countries, the downstream officials allege in letters sent to the MRC.

“We need the Don Sahong dam to go through a prior consultation process to ensure the people and affected communities can express their concerns and the environmental issues will be addressed,” said Chhith Sam Ath, director of NGO Forum, a member of the Save the Mekong Coalition.

But even with prior consultation, NGOs and activists worry that the dam will follow in the footsteps of Laos’ 1,285 megawatt Xayaburi dam.

Despite the fact that the Xayaburi prior consultation process concluded with a consensus that more assessment was needed, construction began in November last year.

“Prior consultation is prior – it should be self-explanatory that it means concerns are shared and resolved before any work starts,” Navuth said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the