Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nazi propaganda disowned

Nazi propaganda disowned

A 1943 Nazi propaganda cartoon that was altered, published online and then run by Fresh News late last week. Photo supplied
A 1943 Nazi propaganda cartoon that was altered, published online and then run by Fresh News late last week. Photo supplied

Nazi propaganda disowned

The government has distanced itself from a scathing letter and accompanying Nazi propaganda image featured on a local news website, after previously endorsing the letter’s claim that foreign media were destroying peace in Cambodia.

The anonymous letter – titled Behavior Plunging Cambodians Into a Bonfire of War Because of Foreigners – was published by Fresh News on Friday and was accompanied by a cartoon that originally appeared in the anti-Semitic publication Der Sturmer in 1943. The publisher, Julius Streicher, was later hanged in Nuremberg for inciting murder and extermination of the Jews.

The original cartoon depicts World War II allies Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin on the cusp of executing a German woman on a chopping block adorned with a Star of David.

The re-imagining superimposes the Phnom Penh Post, the Cambodia Daily and Global Witness logos onto the heads of the executioners, the woman as “peace”, and the Cambodian flag on the chopping block.

The letter came in the wake of a damning Global Witness report exposing Prime Minister Hun Sen’s family’s business empire. The report was covered by media outlets worldwide including the New York Times, Guardian and Al Jazeera.

The original Nazi propaganda cartoon. Photo supplied
The original Nazi propaganda cartoon. Photo supplied

The use of Nazi propaganda raised eyebrows for Germans living in Cambodia. Nazi symbolism remains a highly sensitive issue in Germany, where the swastika remains forbidden.

German Ambassador Joachim Baron von Marschall yesterday said via email that while “[i]n principle the freedom of expression should be supported”, the use of the Photoshopped image was potentially problematic. “I do regret the fact that some people still feel they have to revert to Nazi imagery to express their views. What does this say about their mindset?!” he wrote.

Fresh News CEO Lim Cheavutha said he plucked the image from Facebook to pair with the letter and maintained that his news service, which is routinely the first local outlet to receive key government announcements, was independent.

“I have no comments for the point that foreign newspapers destroy peace in Cambodia. Publishing this story is my right; I cannot comment if this picture is related to Nazis,” he said.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan yesterday told the Post that he did not “want to give any value to that letter”, despite telling the Daily on Saturday he agreed with the letter’s condemnation of both papers as opposition propaganda machines.

When asked if he was troubled by the use of Nazi propaganda, he replied: “I have no concern at all. I consider it freedom of expression; I don’t want it to be escalated.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the