Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NCCT investigating and closing down factories over child labour

NCCT investigating and closing down factories over child labour

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A boy pushes a cart of wood at a brick factory in Kandal province last year. Pha Lina

NCCT investigating and closing down factories over child labour

The permanent vice chair of the National Committee for Counter Trafficking (NCCT) delivered a progress report on efforts to eradicate child labour in the Kingdom on Tuesday, saying that factories are being investigated, and some shut down, for employing children illegally.

The report comes months after rights group Licadho released findings showing the prevalence of debt bondage and child labour at brick kilns – both illegal under Cambodian and international law. At the time, Labour Minister Ith Sam Heng threatened the NGO with legal action if their observations were found to be inaccurate.

“The Ministry of Labour has inspected enterprises and institutions to check working conditions of young workers and to prevent child labour, taking firm action against any enterprises and institutions that have violated the law, and also removing 240 children from heavy labour,” including from brick factories, Chou Bun Eng, permanent vice chair of the NCCT, said at the body’s annual meeting at the Ministry of Interior on Tuesday.

“The Siem Reap Provincial Labour Department has so far investigated 20 brick factories for child labour and continues to survey workers at 46 other brick factories. So far, three factories have been shut down and five others suspended,” she said, without disclosing how many children had been rescued from the factories.

Bun Chrim, Siem Reap Provincial Labour Department deputy head, said the department is actively working in two districts, Banteay Srei and Sotr Nikum, to support children who have previously been employed in such work.

“We have helped 70 children who were under 15 years old – we provide two-month supplementary courses when they can fit it in around school and provide snacks for them every day during the two months. When they go back to school, we give them school materials, two sets of uniforms and a pair of shoes. In 2017, we also provided vocational training for 20 people, aged between 15 and 20, in areas such as hair dressing and electrical maintenance,” Chrim said.

Chrim said that due to budget reduction and the high number of children involved in child labour, the amount of people they can help has decreased.

“This year our budget has been reduced. There are so many children [working in brick factories], but because we have a limited budget . . . we are restricted in how many we can help. I cannot give a figure [of how many children are working in factories] because there are so many children . . . and because we work in only two districts.”

Licadho’s senior investigator Am Sam Ath said: “In the past we have received information that children have been injured or died at brick factories . . . we have seen some owners of the factories stop using children, but others continue to allow children to work at their factories.

“Therefore we think that the ministry should inspect factories regularly in order to prevent the abuse and exploitation of children and stop workers borrowing owners’ money, because after that the children are forced to work to clear the family’s debt.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Vietnamese workers in Koh Kong questioned

    The General Department of Immigration (GDI) is questioning 49 Vietnamese nationals who were working illegally in Koh Kong province to build a case and send them back to Vietnam, its Department of Investigation and Procedure director Kem Sarin said on Thursday. GDI forces and provincial authorities

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism