Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NEC hits out at NGOs over vote observation

NEC hits out at NGOs over vote observation

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
NEC officials addressed stakeholders at a press conference yesterday. Pha Lina

NEC hits out at NGOs over vote observation

The NEC criticised two NGOs on Thursday, in a pre-emptive move in case they issue statements about the upcoming national elections without sending observers, even while one of the accused organisations vowed to send unofficial monitors.

Addressing stakeholders at a press conference, NEC officials called out Comfrel and Nicfec, two entities whose missions relate to free and fair elections, over their refusal to send official monitors to observe voting.

Nicfec on Wednesday joined Comfrel in deciding not to register poll observers, citing a lack of volunteers resulting from, they say, fear of being accused of being part of a colour revolution or rebel groups.

The NEC’s spokesperson questioned any future statements from Comfrel or Nicfec saying, “if they do not go to observe the election, what can they put in their statement?”

He added that the absence of observers from the two watchdogs would not have any effect on the election or other NEC operations.

“Many organisations will be sending thousands of people,” Puthea said. “Higher Education Community alone, for example, said it will send its observers to all the polling places, which cost them about $200,000.”

Sam Kuntheamy, director of Nicfec, said although his NGO will not send observers to the election, it would keep observing it unofficially and educate people about the election.

“But we will not release any report or assessment,” he said, adding he would send informal observers to about 100 polling places.

“If they [observers] notice any irregularity during the campaign, we will report to the NEC to take action.”

Kuntheamy said he was not worried about his organisation breaking the law, as it was working on educating the Cambodian people about the election as well as training the staff of other organisations in proper observation.

Comfrel officials could not be reached for comment on Thursday, but Kuntheamy said Comfrel’s planning is “similar” to that of his organisation.

Kieu Sopheak, spokesperson from the Ministry of Interior, said his ministry would cooperate with NEC to take action if NGOs put out misinformed statements.

Former opposition leader Sam Rainsy, who is currently the leader of the Cambodian National Rescue Movement, responded to the statements by echoing the concerns of United Nations Special Rapporteur to Cambodia Rhona Smith: “No election can be genuine if the main opposition party is barred from taking part.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.