Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NEC reveals shortlist of hopefuls for top job

NEC reveals shortlist of hopefuls for top job

People attend a meeting last month at the NEC office to discuss candidates for the ninth seat of the election committee. Photo supplied
People attend a meeting last month at the NEC office to discuss candidates for the ninth seat of the election committee. Photo supplied

NEC reveals shortlist of hopefuls for top job

Three applicants have been shortlisted for the top spot on the reformed National Election Committee, with a final decision to be made on January 15.

Tep Nytha, 61, the current secretary general, is still in the running. The other two candidates are Heng Monychenda, 56, the director of NGO Buddhism for Development, and Ya Navuth, 43, a law graduate and director of NGO Caram Cambodia.

Twelve candidates for the position of deputy secretary general have also been shortlisted.

Nytha has come under fire from opposition supporters for his tenure as NEC secretary general. Cambodia National Rescue Party members have accused him of helping to rig the 2013 vote and adding to the ensuing political instability.

Hang Puthea, the current NEC spokesman, said now that the 15 shortlisted candidates had been chosen, the NEC would meet on January 15 to reach a final decision on who will fill the secretary general and four deputy secretary general positions.

All shortlisted candidates will be required to submit a criminal record history prior to the decision being made, Puthea added.

Koul Panha, executive director of election monitor Comfrel, said he thought the secretary general position should be reserved for a new candidate.

“A new person among the three should be chosen, as learning the election tasks doesn’t take long and is not a serious challenge,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy