Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NEC to start party, candidate registrations for elections



NEC to start party, candidate registrations for elections

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Deputy President Nuth Sokhom speaks at a press conference in Phnom Penh last month. NEC called for political parties to register for council election. Heng Chivoan

NEC to start party, candidate registrations for elections

The National Election Committee (NEC) is to start accepting regist-rations for political parties and candidates from March 7-11 in preparation for the upcoming municipal, provincial, town, district and commune council elections on Sunday, May 26.

NEC spokesman Hang Puthea told The Post on Wednesday that district and commune councillors would vote in the polls and all parties had been approved by the Ministry of Interior.

If a party has no seats in commune or district councils or the National Assembly, it could still register to run in the elections.

“Parties can come to the NEC for application forms to register and get candidate lists. They can also visit the NEC website to download registration forms,” Puthea said.

The elections in the third government mandate are to have a total of 228 polling stations, of which 25 are for municipal and provincial council elections, the NEC said.

The other 203 are for the city,district and commune council elections.

There are 27 seats available in Phnom Penh’s municipal council, while provincial councils are made up of 15 to 27 members. Town councils consist of 11 to 21 members and district councils from 11 to 21.

A total of 559 municipal and provincial council seats are available, and 3,555 at town and district level.

Pich Sros, the president of the Cambodian Youth Party (CYP), which does not hold any seats in district or commune councils, on Wednesday said his party would register to take part in the elections.

The CYP has prepared more than 1,300 candidates to run in 10 provincial cities, he said.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cambodian Youth Party President Pich Sros has said his party would register to take part in the local elections. Photo supplied

“As sportsmen, we are not scared of the ring. We will participate in the competition in order to show the potential of our party. We will take part to show the people that we are tough in political competition and able to lead the country in the future,” he said.

Sok Eysan, the spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party, which holds 1,156 district and commune seats, said his party offered the best candidates.

“Everything is ready and well prepared. All the candidates are also prepared,” he said.

Eysan said municipal, provincial, town, district and commune council elections are important to government decentralisation and multiparty democracy.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting