Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Net widens on fishing trap ban

Net widens on fishing trap ban

Net widens on fishing trap ban

120307_03b

Less than a week after banning commercial fishing in Tonle Sap Lake, Prime Minister Hun Sen issued a sub-decree on Monday extending the ban to four provinces along the Mekong River.

{jathumbnail}

According to the sub-decree, signed March 5 and released publicly yesterday, commercial fishing will be outlawed in Kandal, Kampong Cham, Takeo and Prey Veng provinces, effective April 10.

“All fishing lots, except those for lobster and linh fishing, will be closed on April 10,” the decree said, and only available for use by families thereafter.

Lobster and linh fishing did not pose serious problems, so were excluded from the ban, Por Try, secretary of state at the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, said.

Por Try vowed to “follow the government order” and said the Prime Minister had first discussed the ban with his ministry at a meeting “a few weeks ago”.

Mina Bunly, co-ordinator for NGO Fisheries Action Coalition Team, applauded the announcement.

“We are very happy about this order,” he said.

“Fishermen will now be able to find more fish and better support their families,” she added.

Last Tuesday, the premier ex­tended indefinitely a ban on commercial fishing in the Tonle Sap Lake, citing concerns over ongoing illegal fishing and its adverse effects on villagers.

The ban had been in place since last August and covered 600,000 hectares of fishing waters in Battambang, Kampong Chhnang, Kampong Thom, Pursat and Siem Reap provinces.

On Friday, the premier followed up the ban with a call for the release of all prisoners who had been detained during the government crackdown.

Towards that end, Siem Reap provincial prosecutor Ty Soventhal reported that 19 of the 20 men in prison there on convictions of illegal fishing had been released yesterday.

The other was awaiting a decision from the Appeal Court, he said.

Chhun Chhorn, provincial governor of Kampong Thom province, similarly reported that 11 prisoners had been released yesterday in his province.

“They were released by the court because they have committed minor offences; they just used batteries to electrocute fish,” he told the Post yesterday.

Chhuom Run, prison researcher for the rights group Licadho in Kampong Thom province, said the released men would still have to stand trial and must check in at their district police station three times a month.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman