Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New Bavet witnesses called

New Bavet witnesses called

New Bavet witnesses called

120612_05

Buot Chenda, 21, is taken to a hospital after being shot by former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith during a protest outside a Puma factory in Kratie province earlier this year. Photograph: Derek Stout/Phnom Penh Post

Two new witnesses have been summonsed in the case against former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith, as the victims’ lawyer tries to prove he intentionally shot three female protesters outside a shoe factory in February.

Nouth Bopinnaroath, Svay Rieng provincial co-ordinator for the rights group Licadho, said the “important” witnesses had been called by investigating judge Pech Chhoeut to reassess the controversial charge of causing unintentional injury handed to the former governor.

“The victims were not happy when the prosecutor charged [Chhouk Bandith] with [causing] unintentional injuries, so the investigating judge asked the lawyers to find more evidence,” he said, adding they had been called for questioning this Thursday.

“If it is unintentional, he should not have shot two or three times.”

The charge against Chhouk Bandith alleges he accidentally shot three workers while trying to fire into the air at a protest of some 6,000 workers outside the Kaoway Sports Ltd factory in Bavet town’s Manhattan Special Economic Zone in February.

An arrest warrant has never been issued for Chhouk Bandith despite the charge, which rights groups have argued should have been attempted murder.

One witness, Un Sam Onn, had been close to one of the victims, while the other, Sok Vuthy, had tried to chase the perpetrator down after the shooting, Nouth Bopinnaroath said.

Sok Vuthy said his family had urged him not to appear for questioning because Chhouk Bandith remains at large and could threaten his safety.

“I am worried my family will not allow me to go. I want to find justice for the same workers,” he said.“I ran after the shooter who was accompanied out of the factory by several police officials.”

Un Sam Onn said she had not received the summons yet and could not comment.

Moeun Tola, head of the labour program at the Cambodian Legal Education Center, said the two witnesses could be more important than the 17 others thus far questioned.

“Actually, there are many witnesses wanting to talk, but the suspect is still out of detention and has freedom, so they cannot speak out. They are afraid for their own safety,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Chhay Channyda at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Proof giants walked among us humans?

    For years a debate has waged about whether certain bas relief carvings at the 12th-century To Prohm Temple, one of the most popular attractions at the Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap province, depicted dinosaurs or some rather less exotic and more contemporary animal,

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on