Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New body to address Sesan dam concerns



New body to address Sesan dam concerns

Construction takes place at the Lower Sesan II hydropower dam in Stung Treng province last year.
Construction takes place at the Lower Sesan II hydropower dam in Stung Treng province last year. Heng Chivoan

New body to address Sesan dam concerns

The Ministry of Mines and Energy has created a committee to resolve compensation and resettlement issues for 1,000 families displaced by the controversial Lower Sesan II hydropower dam in Stung Treng province.

The committee, chaired by Energy Minister Suy Sem, will be responsible for finding new homes for the villagers, building new infrastructure to service them and reviewing existing compensation.

Kem Ley, a researcher and political activist who studied the project, said that the committee is courting failure by not including representatives from civil society or members of the affected communities.

Ley said many affected families rejected the government’s one-size-fits-all compensation package. Displaced families were offered an 80-square-metre house and 5 hectares of plantation land apiece, regardless of their old property values.

Many families have also complained that the proposed resettlement sites are unsuitable for farming.

The Lower Sesan II is projected to cost $800 million, and is set to produce 400 megawatts of electricity when completed. The dam is about 40 per cent complete.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce