Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New Briefs: US withholds trial funding




New Briefs: US withholds trial funding

New Briefs: US withholds trial funding

The US Senate has passed legislation to continue denying financial support for the

tribunal to prosecute individuals for crimes committed under the Democratic Kampuchea

regime, 1975-79.

It also raises concern about possible attempts by China to interfere with the tribunal.

If the bill is supported and not amended by the House of Representatives, the constraint

will apply to the 2004-05 fiscal year, which began October 1.

The relevant part of the Foreign Operations, Export Financing and Related Programs

Appropriations Bill states: "With few exceptions the [Senate Appropriations]

Committee again restricts assistance to the Government of Cambodia and remains deeply

concerned that corruption and the absence of the rule of law undermines the pace

and direction of development activities. The Committee regrets that international

donors, particularly the World Bank, have failed to ensure the financial integrity

of programs and activities.

"The Committee again prohibits funding to any Khmer Rouge tribunal established

by the Government of Cambodia and directs the State Department to report within 90

days of enactment of this Act on the activities, if any, of the People's Republic

of China to delay or derail such a tribunal."

The committee supports up to $500,000 for the Documentation Center of Cambodia; authority

for an endowment for an American NGO to support physical disabilities rehabilitation

programs; and support for Global Witness' activities to protect Cambodia's forests.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15

  • CNRP activist freed; Sam Rainsy pledges return to Kingdom

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday released former CNRP activist Oeur Narith on bail after the court ended its questioning on suspicion of receiving money from abroad and plotting to overthrow the government, according to the authorities. National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun confirmed

  • Hun Sen says developing nations ‘targets of rivalry’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen spoke at the virtual UN General Assembly on Monday, saying that developing nations often become targets of punishment for their imperfections when they don’t rise to the standards of developed countries. He said rivalries between superpowers often hamper developing countries’