Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New building at Boeung Kak draws ire

New building at Boeung Kak draws ire

New building at Boeung Kak draws ire

boeung kak
Labourers employed by Shukaku Inc remove building materials from a site near Boeung Kak lake after their attempt to build an office was thwarted following a protest by local residents. Photograph: Khouth Sophak Chakrya/Phnom Penh Post

Boeung Kak lake villagers yesterday demanded that a construction team from Shukaku Inc cease building on land in village 22, which they say Prime Minister Hun Sen awarded to their community in 2011.

About 50 villagers confronted the seven builders and their two bosses in Daun Penh district’s Srah Chak commune, demanding they walk away from a steel-framed structure they had begun erecting the night before.

Sia Phearum, secretariat-director of the Housing Rights Task Force, said officials had told the villagers the land was part of the unmarked 12.44 hectares Hun Sen had cut from Shukaku’s concession in 2011.

“The company already has more than 100 hectares . . . why are they not respecting the prime minister’s sub-decree?” he said, adding that villagers were concerned by the company’s motives. “Maybe [the building is] for security guards. Maybe they’re going to intimidate people.”

The builders agreed to stop work, but one of them, who identified himself only as Pov, told the Post that Shukaku had permission from municipal authorities to build.

“We’re building on company land only,” he said.

Deputy commune chief In Saphorn said his office had not been told the construction was going ahead.

“I have not been informed about this, but maybe the company already has permission from municipal hall,” he said.

In 2007, the government awarded a $79 million contract to Shukaku, owned by ruling party senator Lao Meng Khin, to develop Boeung Kak.

After the World Bank suspended new lending to Cambodia over its treatment of the Boeung Kak community, Hun Sen cut 12.44 hectares from Shukaku’s concession in August 2011.

Villagers said yesterday that the company had fenced off its 114 hectares and was encroaching on land promised to more than 60 families.

“If we do not protest this time, maybe in the future villagers will be evicted again,” villager representative Tep Vanny said.

A representative from Shukaku said his office had “no comment to make”, before hanging up. Long Dimanche, a municipal hall spokesman, could not be reached. 

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SHANE WORRELL

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked