Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New data techniques used to analyse S-21 documents




New data techniques used to analyse S-21 documents

People look at portraits of S-21 victims at Phnom Penh's Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum in 2014.
People look at portraits of S-21 victims at Phnom Penh's Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum in 2014. Eli Meixler

New data techniques used to analyse S-21 documents

A new report has analysed S-21 prison documents – using a method normally reserved for so-called “big data” sets collected from social media – to shed light on internal purges as the Khmer Rouge tribunal closes its examination of the regime’s security centres.

The preliminary analysis, Emerging data sources and the study of genocide, found that while more than 12,200 people are recorded as having entered S-21, there were only about 8,200 complete records.

Of those people, nearly 63 per cent were executed within 2 months of arrest, but “as the regime continued, the rapidity in which prisoners were executed increased significantly. By 1978, two-thirds of prisoners were executed within 1 month of arrest; over 90% were executed within 2 months.”

There were three months that exhibited “exceptionally short” periods between arrest and execution: June 1976, when Kaing Geuk Eav assumed control of the centre; June 1977, when Hun Sen and other cadre fled to Vietnam amid purges; and December 1978, a period of purges before the regime’s fall.

Report author James Tyner said while more research was needed, applying methods pioneered during the social media age to research the decades-old S-21 data could help to “better understand the spatial and historical patterns [of violence]”.

He added it was possible to map “strings” of arrests – which spurred confessions of “traitorous” social networks and, in turn, more arrests – over time and space.

But Nuon Chea defence lawyer Victor Koppe maintained the study reveals nothing new and was “based on the assumption that anyone who entered S-21 didn’t leave it”, saying that his team believed evidence shows no more than 6,000 people had been executed at S-21.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15