Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New ethics code approved by NEC




New ethics code approved by NEC

Sik Bun Hok chairs a meeting of the National Election Committee yesterday in Phnom Penh in which the code of conduct for electoral officers was reviewed. Photo supplied
Sik Bun Hok chairs a meeting of the National Election Committee yesterday in Phnom Penh in which the code of conduct for electoral officers was reviewed. Photo supplied

New ethics code approved by NEC

The National Election Committee yesterday approved a new code of ethics for electoral officers and plans to convene on Thursday to examine four more similar documents outlining roles and responsibilities for different election stakeholders, according to NEC spokesman Hang Puthea.

Puthea said the revised code – which stipulates, among other things, that election officials should remain impartial and professional – incorporated information about stricter penalties from the new Election Law, which was passed last year.

“The interesting difference is the punishment – previously the law only had 13 articles [dealing with penalties], now there are 27,” Puthea said.

The NEC will meet on Thursday to approve ethics codes for political parties, the press, police and armed forces, and observers. In a bid to prevent campaigning and voter intimidation by members of the security forces – which monitors say has been rife in past elections – Puthea said the body would distribute the code to them in booklet form.

Head of election monitor Comfrel Koul Panha applauded the effort, but said the blurry lines between state bodies and the ruling CPP was a much larger systemic problem.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM slams HRW ‘double standards’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has chided Human Rights Watch (HRW) Asia director Brad Adams for keeping quiet over protest crackdowns in the US following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25. Addressing reporters while inspecting infrastructure development in Preah Sihanouk province on Monday,

  • Bank robber of $6M asks to be released

    An accused bank robber who admitted to stealing $6 million has asked the Supreme Court to release him temporarily because he had returned the money. In a court hearing on Tuesday Chan Simuntha, 39, told the judge that on January 18, his wife Teang Vathanaknearyroth told him that

  • WHO: Antibiotics cause more deaths

    Increased antibiotics use in combating the Covid-19 pandemic will strengthen bacterial resistance and ultimately lead to more deaths during the crisis and beyond, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Monday. WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said a “worrying number” of bacterial infections were becoming

  • Four more Cambodian peacekeepers get Covid-19 in Mali

    Four more Cambodian Blue Helmet peacekeepers in Mali have been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, bringing the number of infected Cambodian UN peacekeepers to 10. National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces and Explosive Remnants of War deputy director-general and spokeswoman Kosal Malinda told The Post on Tuesday

  • Huge tracks of undocumented land a concern for registration officials

    Siem Reap provincial deputy governor Ly Samrith expressed concern that land registration plans for residents scheduled to be completed by late 2021 could not be achieved because 80 per cent of the land had not been registered. Land dispute issues are a major factor that poses a

  • Seniority payments postponed

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training announced on Monday the postponement of seniority payments for workers prior to 2019 and new seniority payments for workers in 2020, opting to implement them next year instead. The ministry also asked more than 25,000 workers in the garment and tourism