Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New fines announced for trash code violators




New fines announced for trash code violators

A man wheels his goods past a pile of rubbish at Phnom Penh’s Kab Ko market last year.
A man wheels his goods past a pile of rubbish at Phnom Penh’s Kab Ko market last year. Eli Meixler

New fines announced for trash code violators

A stern warning to clean up or pay up was issued to litterbugs yesterday, with Interior Minister Sar Kheng announcing fines for improper waste disposal across the country.

The announcement came as Kheng outlined the details of a new sub-decree on waste management, which includes an order to municipal and provincial authorities to put the onus for refuse control on individuals and businesses.

“The national administration will fund local authorities to achieve the management . . . of liquid and solid waste in populated areas by suggesting that people change their behaviour and take part in environmental protection,” he said.

According to the sub-decree, people who do not follow guidelines on separating waste, or who dump or burn rubbish in public places, will be fined between 10,000 and 200,000 riel (about $2.50 to $50). Businesses and other enterprises will also be fined if they are found to have broken the law.

“If the people do not pay the fine on deadline, the fine will be doubled or tripled. If they do not pay in 90 days, the authorities will file documents to the appropriate court,” the sub-decree reads.

A local environment official, who declined to be named because he was not authorised to talk to the media, said he hoped the sub-decree would change people’s attitudes towards waste disposal.

“But it will take time to widely announce and educate people about hygiene and keeping our environment clean.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Passing the test: Is Cambodia’s education system failing its people?

    The Kingdom’s education system needs to grow its people but some flaws might stifle​ this growth Coming from the Khmer Rouge occupation, with the loss of many scholars and academicians and a collapsed government, the education system had to be reconstructed from scratch – one

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia