Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New garbage dump collects more funds

New garbage dump collects more funds

New garbage dump collects more funds

PHNOM Penh waste disposal company Cintri has announced it will spend an additional US$1 million this year on a new 30-hectare garbage dump to be constructed at a site near Choeung Ek killing fields, 17 kilometres south of the city.

Construction on the new dump site is slated to begin in early 2009, and the first 11 hectares should be up and running within four months, the company said. The dumpsite should be in operation for 35 to 40 years.

The solid waste generated by Phnom Penh has been increasing at a rate of 13 percent each year, and the government has recently allowed Cintri to increase its garbage collection services from 300 tonnes per day to 1,000, said the deputy director of Cintri, Seng Chamrouen. He added that this will allow his company to expand the cleanliness of the capital's streets.

"The garbage in Phnom Penh has increased for many reasons," he says. "The number of sellers in markets and public places has increased.

Moreover, there have been many national festivals recently, and people are not learning how to properly deal with rubbish. It is still being left in public places where our collection services do not operate. People will do whatever they can to keep their homes clean."

Phnom Penh Governor Kep Chuktema said equipping the dump with modern technology is a top priority.

He added that the government agreed to expand the width of the road to allow large garbage trucks better access  to the site. 

MOST VIEWED

  • The hairy little heroes saving many lives in rural Cambodia

    IN RURAL Siem Reap province, rats dare to tread where no person will, as these hairy little heroes place their lives on the line each day for the good of the local community. The rodents are the most important members of a special team, leading

  • Hun Sen’s China visit ‘a good opportunity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen’s visit to Beijing on Sunday to discuss economic and trade issues presents a good opportunity for the Kingdom to strengthen Chinese ties and counter punitive measures by the West, an analyst says. The prime minister’s four-day official visit to

  • Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

    The former chief bodyguard of late Senate president Chea Sim has received a royal pardon nearly eight years after he was sentenced to 15 years behind bars on several charges, according to a royal decree dated November 12, last year, and obtained by The Post on Wednesday.

  • PM warns EU and opposition on 34th anniversary of his rule

    HUN Sen reached the milestone of 34 years as Cambodian prime minister on Monday and used the groundbreaking ceremony for a new ring road around Phnom Penh to tell the international community that putting sanctions on the Kingdom meant killing the opposition. “Please don’t forget