Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New Thai regulations for migrants hit by delay




New Thai regulations for migrants hit by delay

Workers step out of a Thai truck packed with Cambodian migrants in Poipet earlier this year following the announcement of strict new migrant worker regulations.
Workers step out of a Thai truck packed with Cambodian migrants in Poipet earlier this year following the announcement of strict new migrant worker regulations. Sahiba Chawdhary

New Thai regulations for migrants hit by delay

New Thai regulations imposing stiff punishments on undocumented migrants, their brokers and their employers set to come into force on January 1 will likely be delayed by three to six months, according to Cambodian Minister of Labour Ith Sam Heng.

Speaking to the press yesterday, Sam Heng said that he had met last week with the Thai Ministry of Labour, which had agreed that the postponement was necessary to accommodate the legalisation process.

In June a Thai Royal Decree imposed fines of up to $3,000 and possible jail time on undocumented workers, and hefty fines on their brokers and employers. The decree prompted thousands of migrant workers – many of them Cambodian – to stream back into their countries of origin.

After backlash from stakeholders, the Thai government implemented a grace period ending December 31 to allow workers to get documented.

Sam Heng said the Cambodian Labour Ministry had started facilitating legalisation in Thailand in the “late third quarter” of the year, and more than 420,000 Cambodians were still waiting to be legalised.

“Myanmar and Laos are having the same problem,” he said. “[The Thai government] will discuss . . . to postpone it by three to six months until we legalise all of our workers.”

Read more: Tales from migrants returning from Thailand put a crisis in focus

An official of the Thai Ministry of Employment’s Foreign Workers Administration, who requested anonymity as they are not allowed to speak to the press, said the Thai cabinet would meet today to discuss the extension and an official announcement would follow. “The announcement will not be later than the end of the year,” the employee said.

The Bangkok Post reported that Thai Labour Minister Adul Sangsingkeo will ask the cabinet to extend the deadline until the end of June.

Cambodian migrant worker Vuth Vuy, 24, said he only had a passport and wasn’t completely legalised yet.

“But I don’t have much concern about legal documents, as I’ve lived in Thailand for many years, so it’s easy for me to escape when the punishment starts,” he said, adding that it was complicated, costly and time-consuming to become legal. “The postponing is good news for migrant workers who just came to work in Thailand, as they have more time to apply for legal document.”

According to local media reports, the Thai government is also considering reducing the punishments for workers, though the Thai Ministry of Labour has yet to confirm this.

Additional reporting by Leonie Kijewski

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.