Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NGO event interrupted yet again, this time in Tbong Khmum

NGO event interrupted yet again, this time in Tbong Khmum

Tbong Khmum authorities break up a Women’s Day event organised by the NGO CCFC yesterday, despite the group saying it had received permission for the gathering. Photo supplied
Tbong Khmum authorities break up a Women’s Day event organised by the NGO CCFC yesterday, despite the group saying it had received permission for the gathering. Photo supplied

NGO event interrupted yet again, this time in Tbong Khmum

Provincial police broke up a gender equality event in Tbong Khmum yesterday despite the fact that the NGO hosting the event had received permission for the celebration, members of the Coalition of Cambodian Farmers Community (CCFC) said.

It was the second event held by the organisation to be disrupted by authorities in as many days. Phun Sophal, chief of CCFC in the province, said roughly 300 villagers had gathered at the event, held in honour of International Women’s Day, when provincial authorities came to break it up.

Sophal claimed that police had given the NGO written permission to hold the event but were upset when nobody attended a similar government-sponsored event at the commune hall. “The villagers gathered somewhere else, and they caused trouble for us in return,” Sophal said.

CCFC has had at least two events shuttered by police over the past two years – including one in Takeo on Wednesday – and was singled out as the only local NGO in a government-made video about “colour revolution” last year. In the video, the NGO was accused of attempting to recruit 70,000 people for a so-called “green revolution” ahead of the 2017 commune elections.

On Wednesday, four representatives of CCFC were stopped from hosting an event with local farmers and interrogated by Takeo police about their supposed connection to the Cambodia National Rescue Movement, a group formed by ex-opposition members overseas that the government has labelled a terrorist organisation.

Officials at the local, district and provincial level yesterday all denied issuing the order to break up the event.

Choam Kravien Commune Chief Beng Rithy maintained he was following orders from district authorities. “Regarding the issues of the CNRM, we did not accuse them,” Rithy said. “We just closed their forum, which did not follow the suggestions from the authorities, who did not want to have many places doing the same event.”

Memot District Police Chief Hong Kim Hoeun, however, said that he acted on orders from provincial authorities and did not know why the event was shuttered.

Tbong Khmum Deputy Police Chief and security head Huot Sothy also denied that he ordered the closure of the forum and said the decision rested with local authorities. “For me, I just sent my forces to investigate and take videos to send to provincial authorities,” he said.

CCFC Secretary Theng Savoeun defended the organisation’s right to hold the event separately from the similar one hosted by local officials, noting that the officials had rejected the NGO’s proposed programming.

“Once they get power, those authorities do not complete their duties properly and do not serve the public’s interest, but instead discriminate and restrict our freedom of speech and gathering, which is protected by national and international laws,” Savoeun said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archaeologists find ancient remnant

    A team from the Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a gatekeeper statue’s foot fragment at the Tonle Snguot Temple, within a metre of the toe of a statue found in 2017. ANA spokesman Long Kosal told The Post on Wednesday that the fragment was

  • Hun Sen to the rescue

    Cambodia has won praise for allowing passengers of the MS Westerdam cruise ship to dock at Preah Sihanouk port, thanks to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s humanitarian act. In a message via Twitter on Wednesday, the director-general of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu

  • EU partially withdraws EBA

    The EU Commission on Wednesday announced the partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme, citing a serious and systematic violation by Cambodia of principles in the four core human and labour rights. The suspension affects one-fifth or €1 billion ($1.08 billion) of Cambodia’s annual

  • Japan calls for policy changes

    Representatives of Japanese companies and investors on Wednesday submitted a list of policy recommendations to the government concerning 21 challenges to the Kingdom’s business climate. Japanese Ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami and leaders of the Japanese Business Association in Cambodia (JBAC), Japan International Cooperation Agency

  • Trump tweets praise for Kingdom docking ship

    Cambodia continues to earn praise for its humanitarian act of allowing the MS Westerdam cruise ship with more than 2,200 passengers and crew on board to dock at the Preah Sihanouk port. The praise this time comes from none other than US President Donald Trump. “Thank

  • Hate worse than virus, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday criticised countries that have cancelled flights with China following the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), arguing that such moves amounted to discrimination against the Chinese. In a speech delivered during the groundbreaking ceremony for work on national roads 2