Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NGO head apologises to NEC




NGO head apologises to NEC

Ros Sarom, director of the Victory Intelligent Standard Association, speaks at the ACU on Monday.
Ros Sarom, director of the Victory Intelligent Standard Association, speaks at the ACU on Monday. Hong Menea

NGO head apologises to NEC

The Victory Intelligent Standard Association issued an apology on Wednesday to the National Election Committee for accusing the body’s senior staffers of corruption during the transfer of its employees from independent contractors to the government’s fold.

Ros Sarom, director of the group, which claims the membership of 10,000 intellectuals, government officials and NGOs, apologised to the NEC President Sik Bun Hok, admitting that his accusations had affected the reputation of the election body and its staffers.

“I would like not to describe or talk about this anymore. I hope the NEC brings success to the nation,” he said, when contacted yesterday.

Sarom had filed the complaint with the Anti-Corruption Unit on June 2, but it was thrown out by ACU boss Om Yentieng earlier this week for lacking evidence.

The complaint stems from a royal decree in February, which changed NEC staffers’ employment status from contract-based to full-time government officials, with Sarom alleging that lower-level contractors got higher government positions after the change.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Potential shield’ for virus hangs in balance

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) suspended trials of the drug that US president Donald Trump has promoted as a coronavirus defence, fuelling concerns about his handling of the pandemic that has killed nearly 100,000 US citizens. Trump has led the push for hydroxychloroquine as a potential

  • Gov’t rolls out stimulus to keep businesses afloat

    The government has introduced the fourth round of stimulus measures aimed at ensuring economic and social stability during the outbreak of the Covid-19 disease. The move, which was announced on Tuesday, is designed to help businesses, factories and enterprises to stay afloat while reducing the

  • E-cigarette back in spotlight amid virus pandemic

    The Ministry of Health’s Department of Communicable Disease (DCD) department has released a video about the effects of smoking, while the NGO Cambodia Movement for Health (CMH) warned against the use of electronic cigarettes or vape. The short video clip that was posted on

  • Por Sen Chey woman murdered

    Por Sen Chey district police are searching for a suspect who robbed and killed a woman in a rented room in Samraong Kraom commune in Phnom Penh at 6:30pm on Monday. Deputy district police chief Chea Sovann told The Post on Tuesday that the victim,

  • Police chief: remove all roadblocks

    National Police chief Neth Savoeun warned Phnom Penh and provincial police chiefs to remove all roadblocks, saying that traffic police officials in some provinces had tightened traffic law implementation against guidelines. In a leaked voice message which was shared on social media on Tuesday, Savoeun

  • Capital calls for Covid-19 caution

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall announced on Monday that authorities in the city’s 14 districts must encourage people to continue various safety measures to prevent a second wave of Covid-19. It called on administrations, departments and units to educate residents on daily living habits like