Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NGO site barred by local ISP

NGO site barred by local ISP

NGO site barred by local ISP

Global Witness site blocked for AngkorNet customers

THE website of the UK-based corruption watchdog Global Witness has been blocked for some local web users following the organisation's release of a scathing report on the Kingdom's nascent oil and mining industries last week.

Norbert Klein, editor of the online Cambodia Mirror, told the Post that AngkorNet - one of the Kingdom's leading internet service providers (ISPs) - had blocked the site over the weekend in a manner consistent with a deliberate attempt to prevent access.

"This doesn't happen automatically. Somebody somewhere must have done something," he said Sunday, adding that the block could either have originated with the ISP itself, or "somewhere further upstream".

AngkorNet representatives confirmed the Global Witness site was barred to the ISP's customers, but could not provide further details into the reasons for the restricted access.

However, on Sunday afternoon the site - including free copies of the NGO's new report - was still accessible for customers of Online and City Link, two other major ISPs.

The 70-page "Country for Sale" report, which accuses corrupt ruling elites of monopolising the country's mining and oil industries, aided by a "total lack" of transparency, has drawn criticism from officials since its release Thursday.

"It is not a balanced report," said Phay Siphan, Council of Ministers. "Its purpose is to discredit the government."

Hor Nambora, the Cambodian ambassador in London, released a statement Friday accusing Global Witness of engaging in a "hugely damaging smear campaign" against the Cambodian government.

In June 2007, authorities banned the Global Witness report "Family Trees", which accused senior officials of involvement in illegal logging, but Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith denied the government had plans to ban the new report or prevent access to the Global Witness website.

The apparent blocking of the site comes a week after reahu.net, the site of a Khmer-American artist, was reportedly blocked by several local ISPs for its scantily clad depictions of Cambodian women.

MOST VIEWED

  • The hairy little heroes saving many lives in rural Cambodia

    IN RURAL Siem Reap province, rats dare to tread where no person will, as these hairy little heroes place their lives on the line each day for the good of the local community. The rodents are the most important members of a special team, leading

  • Hun Sen’s China visit ‘a good opportunity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen’s visit to Beijing on Sunday to discuss economic and trade issues presents a good opportunity for the Kingdom to strengthen Chinese ties and counter punitive measures by the West, an analyst says. The prime minister’s four-day official visit to

  • Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

    The former chief bodyguard of late Senate president Chea Sim has received a royal pardon nearly eight years after he was sentenced to 15 years behind bars on several charges, according to a royal decree dated November 12, last year, and obtained by The Post on Wednesday.

  • PM warns EU and opposition on 34th anniversary of his rule

    HUN Sen reached the milestone of 34 years as Cambodian prime minister on Monday and used the groundbreaking ceremony for a new ring road around Phnom Penh to tell the international community that putting sanctions on the Kingdom meant killing the opposition. “Please don’t forget