Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nine Chinese arrested for running Kampot brothel



Nine Chinese arrested for running Kampot brothel

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Four Chinese men had been detained for running a brothel from a guesthouse in Kampot town’s Kampong Kandal commune. Police

Nine Chinese arrested for running Kampot brothel

Kampot provincial police continued to question nine Chinese nationals on Tuesday after their arrests the previous night for running a brothel from a guesthouse.

Provincial police chief Mao Chanmathurith said that four men and five women had been detained.

He said he had received a tip-off that a brothel was being run from the Rising Star guesthouse in Kampot town’s Kampong Kandal commune.

Having received the information, he requested legal coordination with the provincial court prosecutor to lead a night raid on the location.

The nine Chinese nationals were arrested in the operation and several used and unused Chinese-brand condoms were found.

The suspects had rented the guesthouse to offer sexual services, Chanmathurith said.

The five women admitted under questioning to be sex workers and so were not victims of trafficking.

All of them will have to face Cambodian law, he said.

Chanmathurith said he had requested the General Department of Immigration at the Ministry of Interior to deport the suspects, but this did not mean they would escape Cambodian justice as they will have to be prosecuted in the Kingdom if the court ruled they had broken the law, he stressed.

“After being arrested in Cambodia, if they are found guilty by the court, then they will be deported to their home country immediately after serving their sentences,” Chanmathurith said.

He said he could not say exactly when the Chinese nationals would be sent to court as so many had been arrested and needed to be processed.

“I have yet to send them to the court, but it will not exceed the timeframe of being within 48 hours of their arrest as per the law,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting