Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - No charges yet in attack on wedding

No charges yet in attack on wedding

No charges yet in attack on wedding

Police are still questioning a man suspected of fatally bombing a pre-wedding party in Kampong Thom province’s Prasat Sambo district, provincial deputy police commissioner Ker Khannara said yesterday.

Khannara declined to name the 24 year-old suspect as the investigation was ongoing.

“He did have a dispute with the bridegroom some days before the wedding,” he said. “We questioned him first and we have not made a final determination yet, but I can tell you … the perpetrator will not answer directly, so police are seeking more evidence and witnesses.”

Prasat Sambo district police chief Chen Saren also revised downward his final tallies for dead and injured – now nine and 30, respectively – saying confusion in the wake of the blast resulted in incorrect figures.

“Yesterday, we received the number of deaths as being 11, but in fact, we got phone calls from relatives as they were sending [victims] to hospital that two more had died. In fact, those two people were unconscious, not dead,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s