Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NRP not seeking govt coalition deal: official

NRP not seeking govt coalition deal: official

NRP not seeking govt coalition deal: official

THE Norodom Ranariddh Party is not seeking

a coalition government deal, its officials said Thursday, denying

earlier reports that it wanted a partnership with the ruling Cambodian

People's Party.

NRP spokesman Suth Dina said the party's priority was securing the

return of its leader, Prince Norodom Ranariddh, who remains in

self-imposed exile in Malaysia, where he fled in 2007 under a cloud of

legal troubles.

"What we are worried about is the fact that the Prince is absent from

the country," Suth Dina said, adding that the party never requested a

coalition deal with the CPP.

"What we need first is help for Ranariddh," he said.

The NRP, created after Ranariddh was ousted as head of Funcinpec, won

two seats in parliament in last month's general election. A new

government is expected to be sworn in on September 24.

The NRP had initially rejected the election results, along with

Cambodia's other opposition parties, but then abruptly endorsed them in

what some observers saw as a bid to pave the way for the Prince's

return.

Government spokesman Khieu Kanharith told the Post Thursday that the

CPP's overriding goal was to create a government alongside a faction of

Funcinpec that remains loyal to the ruling party, adding that the NRP

was not welcome.

"We will watch the NRP for a couple more years and if they have a

similar platform and vision as us, we will agree to take them," he

said.   

According to official election results released Tuesday, the CPP won 90

of the National Assembly's 123 seats, more than enough to form a

government on its own.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Chinese-owned shops are on the rise in central Phnom Penh

    Informal businesses owned by Chinese nationals are on the rise in central Phnom Penh, especially in Tonle Bassac commune, surrounding Koh Pich. Such businesses have sprung up notably in Central Market, Orussey Market, Sovanna Shopping Mall, Rattana Plaza, as well as Kakab commune across from