Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NSSF registering urged for construction sector



NSSF registering urged for construction sector

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Construction workers worked at Koh pich last year. Hong Menea

NSSF registering urged for construction sector

A construction worker in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district was killed on Wednesday after a wall where he was working collapsed, local news has reported.

This latest accident highlights the hazards those working in the industry face. And a union head has pointed out that many accident victims have not been covered by the National Social Security Fund (NSSF).

Sok Kin, the president of the Building Woods Workers Trade Unions of Cambodia (BWTUC), told The Post: “Construction workers are at a high risk of work-related accidents compared to other sectors, but many do not receive compensation from the National Social Security Fund as they are not registered with it.”

The deputy director of the NSSF, Sum Sophorn, said it was important for workers to ascertain if their employers had registered them for the NSSF.

“We encourage employers to register for the NSSF at the Ministry of Labour. So far over 500 companies have registered.

“If workers get the NSSF card, they will get free treatment at the hospital even if they are informal workers, but their employers must register them,” Sophorn said.

The NSSF will provide registered workers with compensation for accidents in the workplace, Sophorn said.

But unregistered workers can still ask for compensation after industrial accidents.

Kin said the BWTUC had intervened in cases where victims’ families did not receive compensation, but it pressed the employers to provide some.

“Sometimes the compensation is very little, even when workers have died in the workplace. Employers often just give whatever amount they wish.

“We don’t have accurate figures or official statistics from the government on how many construction workers have died or been injured in accidents, but the BWTUC conducted a survey in mid-2017 that found that of 1,010 workers, 196 had suffered injuries. This represented 19 percent of the sample pool,” Kin said.

Khun Tharo, a program coordinator at labour rights NGO Central, said workers who had accidents in the workplace were often unable to get full compensation as per the law, and sometimes employers refused to pay up.

“Construction workers who are informal are among the most vulnerable to industrial accidents and injuries, and lack any form of social protection,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • Woman seeks answers after arrest of American partner

    Filipina Lalaine de Guzman, 48, is demanding answers for the detention of her American partner by Cambodian immigration officers after he was arrested at their home almost 90 days ago. She said without an arrest warrant or proffering any criminal charges, Stephen Sidney Greatsinger, 56, is being detained

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital