Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ochheuteal vendors refuse to give up hope

Ochheuteal vendors refuse to give up hope

Vendors ordered to vacate their beachfront establishments protest outside Sihanoukville Provincial Hall late last month. Photo supplied
Vendors ordered to vacate their beachfront establishments protest outside Sihanoukville Provincial Hall late last month. Photo supplied

Ochheuteal vendors refuse to give up hope

Sihanoukville provincial authorities are scheduled to evict vendors from Ochheuteal beach today, with beachfront business owners saying they plan to continue to fight for their cause.

Meanwhile, businesses on nearby Otres and Damnak Sdech beaches, which also have eviction notices hanging over them, remain in limbo.

All three beaches had been scheduled for eviction on Sunday, March 13, but were granted a last-minute temporary reprieve on Thursday by provincial authorities.

At the time, the city’s Governor Y Sokleng said Ochheuteal vendors would get just two days grace, whereas the others would be allowed to operate through Khmer New Year.

Sokleng confirmed yesterday that the Ochheuteal evictions would go ahead today, although the fates of Otres and Damnak Sdech are even more uncertain than they were last week.

“We don’t know the exactly date yet,” Sokleng said, adding that compensation would not be offered to the vendors “because this beach is the state’s land, it is not private land”.

However, representative of the Ochheutal vendors Phoeuk Sokhen said yesterday that the authorities had offered $3,500 compensation, which was refused as insufficient to cover relocation costs.

Another Ochheuteal vendor, Ek Sothean, said they would continue to ask for intervention. “We will try to fight until the end,” Sothean said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for

  • Cross-border deal inked to maintain trade amid Covid-19

    Cambodia and Vietnam have agreed to allow cargo trailers to enter the common Bavet-Moc Bai border, located in Cambodia’ Svay Rieng province (Bavet) and Vietnam’s Tay Ninh province (Moc Bai) after movement restrictions were enforced to prevent a Covid-19 outbreak. The decision was made