Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - OCIC bulldozing in Chroy Changvar rolls on in spite of dispute

OCIC bulldozing in Chroy Changvar rolls on in spite of dispute

Workers use machinery to level a plot of land in Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changvar district yesterday morning.
Workers use machinery to level a plot of land in Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changvar district yesterday morning. Hong Menea

OCIC bulldozing in Chroy Changvar rolls on in spite of dispute

Under the supervision of 50 security guards, construction firm Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation (OCIC) resumed bulldozing land on Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changvar peninsula yesterday, despite two families laying claim to the land being cleared.

Early yesterday morning, OCIC, run by tycoon Pung Khieu Se, used 10 earthmoving machines to clear the land in the district’s Prek Leap commune to make way for a new road and drainage system for its planned satellite city.

However, Hul Savoeun, a 45-year-old resident of the area, said that the land belongs to her and that she had not been compensated for it.

“If they want to build the road and drainage system, they should have a solution first,” she said. “Do not clear the land and rob people’s land like this.”

Chea Sophat, a representative for the communities affected by the project, said that OCIC’s offer of $15 per square metre was unacceptable and maintained a demand of $400 per square metre, adding that the going rate in the area was $2,000.

The new road was being constructed to ease traffic congestion in Phnom Penh, claimed the district official in charge of the construction, Sen Narin.

“We have to do it even though they have not received compensation, because we have invited them [to negotiate] many times already,” Narin said.

OCIC project manager Touch Samnang said residents’ claims of having titles for the land were incorrect, given that “there are no land titles for that area”.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four