Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials claim minimal crime, despite shooting



Officials claim minimal crime, despite shooting

Officials claim minimal crime, despite shooting

New Year’s Eve, often associated with rowdy revellers in Western countries, was practically devoid of crime in Cambodia due to Cambodians’ desire for “peace and progress”, police maintained yesterday.

Despite the fact that officials’ tabulations left out a drug-raid shootout that left one suspect wounded, National Police spokesman Lieutenant General Kirth Chantharith and others maintained yesterday that throughout the entire country, only one crime – the theft of a foreigner’s wallet – had been reported on New Year’s Eve.

“I would like to say that this New Year’s Eve was a good year.… There were lots of Cambodian people travelling to celebrate the New Year, but only one crime happened in Cambodia,” Chantharith said. “This shows that Cambodian people’s knowledge has improved and progressed now,” he continued. “They want their society and their country to have peace and progress.”

Acting Phnom Penh police chief Lieutenant General Mok Chito seconded Chantharith’s assessment, saying there had been only one theft in the city this year, compared to last year’s three, though he attributed the lack of crime to other factors.

“We noted that the reason why no more crimes happened this New Year’s Eve was because we have been deploying many police and military police as civil forces everywhere in the city,” he said.

Cheth Vanny, deputy chief of Battambang Provincial Police, also said that his jurisdiction had been totally quiet.

However, authorities weren’t so lucky on the traffic front, with both road accidents and fatalities up from last year, said Major General Him Yann, chief of the Traffic Police Department at the Ministry of Interior.

“According to our traffic accident report, there were a total of 20 cases of traffic accidents in which eight people died this New Year’s Eve, while there were 10 cases of traffic accidents in which six people died last year across the Kingdom,” he said.

“The reason why it increased was because there were more people travelling to meet with their families in the cities or provinces, and they were driving fast,” he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.