Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials deny detainment of sex workers

Officials deny detainment of sex workers

Officials deny detainment of sex workers

THE government has lashed out at a recent Human Rights Watch report alleging the “systematic” abuse of sex workers in government-run detention centres, denying that sex workers are even sent to one of the centres cited by the United States-based watchdog.

In a report released on Monday, HRW accused the government of subjecting sex workers to beatings, extortion and rape, and called for the closure of detention centres where they have been illegally detained.

But in a letter sent to the Post yesterday, the Ministry of Social Affairs stated that the Prey Speu centre in Dangkor district – one of two centres listed by HRW in the report – was used to provide training to beggars and other street people. It said the centre had never been used to house sex workers, whose “rehabilitation” was handled in conjunction with 10 NGO partners.

“The Ministry of Social Affairs would like to reject the untrue information that causes confusion to the public ... and affects the honour of the NGO partners that cooperated to provide the services to those sex-trafficked victims,” the letter stated. “No street sex worker has received services from the centre at all.”

Enclosed with the letter was a photograph of officials handing bags of rice, instant noodles, clothing and bottles of soy sauce to what appear to be street people at Prey Speu.

Phil Robertson, deputy director of HRW’s Asia division, said yesterday that the group stood by its findings.

“While [the ministry] says it does not intend to send sex workers to Prey Speu, that is not the reality on the ground,” he said in an email.

He said HRW and other rights groups learned of sex workers being held against their will at the centre as recently as last month, despite a June 2009 pledge from the ministry to cease holding sex workers at Prey Speu.

“Rather than issuing blanket denials that have little credibility, [the ministry] should investigate the abuses at Prey Speu, and provide unfettered and continuous access for Cambodian and international human rights NGOs,” Robertson said.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh