Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials deny timber sent to Vietnam via Sesan



Officials deny timber sent to Vietnam via Sesan

Workers move timber into the Sesan River for transport in an image circulated by local media, prompting an investigation. Photo supplied
Workers move timber into the Sesan River for transport in an image circulated by local media, prompting an investigation. Photo supplied

Officials deny timber sent to Vietnam via Sesan

Ratanakkiri Military Police officials yesterday denied multiple local media reports that thousands of logs of luxury timber were being transported on the Sesan River to be sent to Vietnam illegally.

Various local media outlets on Tuesday aired a one-minute video clip showing large stockpiles of luxury timber, including the thnong and neang nuon varieties, being pushed into the Sesan River by nine workers.

News outlets suggested the timber was being illegally transported via the river to Vietnam through the O’Yadav border checkpoint.

Kim Raksmey, provincial Military Police commander, said he was instructed to look into the claim after Deputy National Military Police Commander Hong Vinol asked for an immediate investigation.

However, Raksmey said the timber was not being illegally transported and was from a licensed economic land concession controlled by Hong An Mang Yang K Rubber Development.

“We checked and found that the company collecting the timber was legal. The company was recently permitted to transport six trucks of timber,” he said.

But, Soy Sona, head of the provincial Agriculture Department, said that the company had already cleared the forest within its ELC to plant rubber and only some old timber remained.

Sona said he didn’t know whether there was any illicit timber collection going on outside the company’s land, and acknowledged that some locals in the area were known to sell timber for extra income.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year