Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials destroy cashew farms in Kampong Thom

Officials destroy cashew farms in Kampong Thom

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
About 100 families had protested at Boueng Leav commune, Santuk district after a forestry administration official in charge of the northern Tonle Sap area decided to cut the land for a forest recovery area in the commune. Supplied

Officials destroy cashew farms in Kampong Thom

Kampong Thom provincial governor Sok Lou said he would investigate a land conflict in Boueng Leav commune, Santuk district, where villagers have accused an agriculture official of destroying their cashew farms. The official claims it was the villagers who illegally occupied the land.

The governor said on Tuesday he could not yet judge which side is right or wrong.

“I will go down to see the place, but I just want to say for now that the location was a protected area and no villagers lived there before.

“Recently, the Ministry of Agriculture regarded the location as a forest recovery area. But villagers claimed it is involved in a conflict which requires a solution. So, we cannot just believe one side,” Lou said.

Local media reported that about 100 families had protested at the location after a forestry administration official in charge of the northern Tonle Sap area decided to cut the land for a forest recovery area in the commune.

The media reported that villagers had asked Prime Minister Hun Sen to intervene because they were threatened with beatings and imprisonment during an April 18 protest, during which two gunshots were fired.

Kampong Thom provincial forestry administration chief Teb Nhata said the 100 families were not residing in the area but were from Kampong Cham and Tboung Khmum provinces. They just came to plant cashews in the forest recovery area, he said.

He said the provincial authority and state land management committees will evaluate the land use.

Nhata said the villagers had entered the area to build plantations without the permission of the village chief, the commune chief or the local authority. He said he had previously filed a court order against three people but they did not present themselves.

According to his inspection, he said no villagers were living in the conflict area. There were only four buildings that were quietly built and without walls.

MOST VIEWED

  • 12th Cambodia int’l film festival to see return of Hollywood star

    Phnom Penh is set to come alive with the magic of cinema as the highly anticipated 12th Cambodia International Film Festival (CIFF) takes centre stage. Boasting an impressive line-up of 188 films from 23 countries, including captivating shorts, feature films, documentaries and animation, the festival promises an

  • Brawl marrs football final as Indonesian take gold in seven goal thriller

    The Indonesian men's U22 men national football team were crowned champions of the 32nd SEA Games in Cambodia, defeating Thailand 5-2 in extra time on May 16 at Olympic National Stadium in Phnom Penh. The match was marred by an ugly incident that occured in the 91

  • Bareknuckle champion wants Kun Khmer fighter

    Dave Leduc, who is the current openweight Lethwei boxing champion in Myanmar, has announced that he will travel to Cambodia this year to challenge SEA Games gold medallist Prum Samnang any time that is convenient, after their planned match later this month in Slovakia was

  • Candlelight Party disqualified from July general election

    The National Election Committee (NEC) has disqualified the Candlelight Party (CP) from contesting the upcoming general election, citing a lack of valid documentation. NEC spokesman Khorn Keomono said the CP failed to fulfil one of the three main requirements: including original documentation proving their registration

  • Thong Khon calls for orderly SEA Games closing ceremony

    Thong Khon, Minister of Tourism and permanent vice-president of the Cambodia SEA Games Organising Committee (CAMSOC), calls on all people who have received tickets to the May 17 closing ceremony of the biennial multi-sports extravaganza at the Morodok Techo National Stadium to ensure that the event

  • 1.4 billion dollar Phnom Penh-Bavet expressway due in four years

    The Government, through the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, has officially signed a public-private partnership agreement with a private company for the construction of a Phnom Penh-Bavet Expressway project that will connect the capital to Svay Rieng province. The budget for the project is