Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials look into Bavet SEZ’s wastewater

Officials look into Bavet SEZ’s wastewater

A car passes through the gates of the Manhattan Special Economic Zone in Bavet last year, where villagers have accused the SEZ of polluting a waterway.
A car passes through the gates of the Manhattan Special Economic Zone in Bavet last year, where villagers have accused the SEZ of polluting a waterway. Pha Lina

Officials look into Bavet SEZ’s wastewater

Svay Rieng province’s environment department yesterday conducted an inspection of a new water treatment facility at the Man­hattan Special Economic Zone, days after villagers complained of untreated water draining into a nearby canal they use.

The Bavet town-based SEZ started construction of a wastewater treatment facility a year ago, after villagers living near Tapov Canal, which runs through Bati, Prasat and Bavet communes, said the water was polluted by untreated runoff from the industrial park.

Koeut Saroeurn, head of the environment department, said they inspected the $20 million treatment facility and SEZ tenant Top Sports, which has been fined twice for discharging untreated water, but did not to divulge his findings.

“I cannot make any comment before the result. We will see how the ministry proceeds with the case after that,” he said. He added that it wasn’t within his power to clean up the already-polluted canal.

Prasat commune chief Keo Sean said he was aware of the new plant but that did not solve the large amounts of polluted water in the canal. “Our commune cannot afford to clean [it]. I think the government needs to do it.’’

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials