Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials report timber seizures in three provinces

Officials report timber seizures in three provinces

A van loaded with luxury timber which was seized by the Forestry Administration in Kratie province on Saturday. Photo supplied
A van loaded with luxury timber which was seized by the Forestry Administration in Kratie province on Saturday. Photo supplied

Officials report timber seizures in three provinces

A string of rosewood and luxury timber busts were undertaken across several provinces over the weekend, authorities reported.

The Kampong Thom Provincial Court charged two men with illegally collecting and transporting endangered rosewood on Saturday, according to provincial prosecutor Ith Sothea.

Sothea identified the suspects as Keng Samphos, 27, and Ly Thai, 43, adding that they were arrested on Friday morning after their cars were found to be loaded with contraband timber.

“We confiscated two cars with rosewood at 4:30 in the morning. We sent them to the judge, and he decided to place them in pre-trial detention [on Saturday] for illegally collecting and transporting wood under the Forestry Law,” Sothea said.

He added that Samphos was arrested in Prasat Balang district’s Sala Visay commune while Thai was nabbed in Santuk district’s Kampong Thma commune.

Sothea could not recall how much timber was found in the cars, but local media reported that 83 pieces of rosewood and two pieces of luxury timber were confiscated.

Meanwhile, the Forestry Administration (FA) reported on its Facebook page that its Tbong Khmum office confiscated 69 pieces of rosewood in Memot district’s Dar commune on Sunday.

A separate posting by the FA said its officers in Kratie province confiscated a car loaded with 112 planks of luxury timber in Snuol district’s Snuol commune on Saturday.

Forestry officials could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four